Beets are rich in folates, iron, and fiber, helping to strengthen the digestive tract and keeping blood sugar and cholesterol levels under control.
- 350 g (12.3 oz) of whole raw beets.
- 1 tablespoon of Nutrioli® oil.
- 115 g (4 oz) of bacon in chunks.
- 1 large onion.
- 1 large carrot cut in julienne.
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped.
- 1.5 to 1.8 liters (1.6 to 1.9 quarts) of chicken stock.
- 225 g (8 oz) of tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into slices.
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
- 2 tablespoons of chopped dill.
- 115 g (4 oz) of white cabbage, finely chopped.
- 1 cup of sour cream.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the beets; cut into slices and then cut into fine strips.
- Heat the Nutrioli® oil in a large, wide pot and fry the bacon on low heat for 3 or 4 minutes. Add the onion, fry for 2 or 3 minutes, and add the carrot, celery, and beet. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 more minutes, constantly stirring until all of the oil has been absorbed.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, lime juice, and half of the dill; season with salt and pepper to taste. Return to boil and let cook on low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Add the cabbage and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat until tender. Check for salt and pepper again and serve the soup garnished with the rest of the dill and sour cream.