Apples are rich in fiber, which soothes the digestive tract, helps prevent stomach inflammation and keeps you regular.
- 4 large yellow apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 TBSP rum
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup + 2 TBSP flour (divided)
- 1 cup + 1 TBSP sugar (divided)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup Nutrioli®
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Powdered sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Coat a cake pan with removable bottom with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place apples in a baking dish and microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and soak with rum and lemon juice. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine one cup of flour, one cup of sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole egg, Nutrioli®, milk and vanilla. Stir until ingredients are well-mixed. Add dry ingredients and stir well. Set aside one cup of the batter.
- Add egg yolks to remaining batter and stir. Use a spatula to stir in apples. Pour batter into cake pan, spread to the edges, pressing lightly to form a layer of apples, and smooth out the surface.
- Add the extra two tablespoons of flour to batter that was set aside. Mix well and pour over top layer of apples. Smooth surface again and sprinkle the extra tablespoon of sugar on top of cake.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top of cake is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 3 hours. Remove from pan before it cools completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar for decoration.