Tomatoes are rich in potassium, vitamins A and C, and lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that protects our cells.
- 2 TBSP Nutrioli®
- ½ of an onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1½ cups low-fat, low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice (natural)
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme
- ¼ TBSP ground cinnamon
- ½ TBSP sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 TBSP low-fat sour cream
- 4 sprigs of fresh basil
- 4 small loaves of whole-grain bread
- Heat Nutrioli® in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken stock and remove from heat. Puree in blender until smooth.
- Pour puree back into skillet and add tomato juice, thyme, cinnamon and sugar, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Cut off the top of each loaf and carefully remove half of the bread, pressing the rest against the bottom and sides to form a bread bowl. Bake loaves at 200 °F for 15 minutes or until firm. This can be done the previous day, if desired.
- Serve soup in bread bowls. Each serving can be garnished with a tablespoon of cream and a sprig of basil.