Enjoy this delicious cake with a variety of seasonal fruits. Figs are rich in B complex vitamins, as well as minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium and iron. They’re easy to digest and have a soothing effect on the bronchial tubes and digestive tract. They’re an excellent choice for the holidays.
- ⅔ cup Nutrioli®
- 3 eggs
- 5 oz. brown sugar
- 2 TBSP cocoa powder
- 3½ cups flour
- ¼ TBSP baking powder
- 1 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ TBSP nutmeg
- 1¼ TBSP ground cloves
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ lb. figs
- ¼ lb. candied citron
- ¼ lb. pitted dates
- ½ lb. raisins
- 1 candied orange or zest of 1 orange
- 1 candied lemon or zest of 1 lemon
- 5 oz. walnuts
- 3½ oz. candied pineapple
- ¼ cup sweet sherry
- ¼ cup brandy or cognac
- ½ cup halved walnuts for decoration
- ½ cup maraschino cherries for decoration
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 TBSP water
- Dice fruit and let marinate in sherry and brandy for several days to absorb the flavors.
- Sift dry ingredients and spices together 3 times and set aside.
- Pour Nutrioli® in a bowl and add eggs one by one. Incorporate sifted dry ingredients, alternating with maple syrup, until batter is of an even consistency. Lastly, fold in candied fruit using a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into greased Bundt pan and bake at 350 °F for 40–45 minutes. Once done, remove from oven and let cool. Release from pan and arrange on a tray. Soak with brandy or cognac for several days, to taste.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and beat with a whisk until sugar is completely moistened. If it is too thick, add water little by little. Cover with plastic wrap until time to use.
- To glaze, pour icing on top of cake and let run down the sides. Garnish with maraschino cherries and halved walnuts.