Almonds promote cardiovascular health thanks to their high fatty acid content. They’re also rich in vitamin E, which is an excellent antioxidant.
- ¾ cup almonds (without skins)
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup water
- 18 oz. short pasta
- 2 TBSP Nutrioli®
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 cup cooked peas
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh basil (chopped)
- ⅓ cup fresh mint (chopped)
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds (toasted)
- Salt to season
- Place garlic and ¾ cup of almonds in blender with enough water to form a purée. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain, setting aside 3 cups of the water it was cooked in.
- Meanwhile, heat Nutrioli® and one tablespoon of butter in a heavy skillet. Add almond purée. Stir constantly to prevent sticking, while pouring in 2½ cups of the water used to cook the pasta. Add salt and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Add pasta and peas, followed by cheese and lemon juice, and mix well.
- Remove from heat and add three quarters of the chopped mint and basil and stir well.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with remaining herbs and sliced almonds.